Rev. Fr. Geoffrey Murphy, SJ (1922-1985)

1st Parish Priest: 1961-1965
He was called home to be with the Lord in 1985

In 1958 Fr. Geoffrey Murphy was posted to Kuala Lumpur and remained in Malaysia the rest of his life. With the help of Fr. Paddy McGovern and Fr. Bourke he built the Church of St. Francis Xavier and Xavier Hall.

Fr. Murphy was Parish Priest from 1961 to 1965. In 1963 he had about 1800 parishioners and he knew practically all of them. Fr. Murphy was known for his good humour, immense patience and his ability to listen endlessly to anyone in trouble.

Many parishioners remember how he would occasionally encourage the flow of conversation with his trademark. “Sure, sure. Sure, sure!”

His notable clam seemed only to be ruffled when he came across cases of injustice, illness, and where the weak and defenceless were involved: his hear was then always engaged.

[Source: Church of St. Francis Xavier, 50th Golden Jubilee Anniversary Book]